LEARN THE CRAFT OF THEATRE DIRECTING
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN! DEADLINE TO APPLY: Nov. 19
Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good. -Terrence Mann (Broadway actor and director)
Whether you're a novice or emerging director, having more tools and gaining a deeper understanding in the craft of theatre directing will better equip you in leading a cast. Surprisingly, many directors are not prepared enough -- simply because there aren't that many training opportunities for them.
Theatre inspiraTO, the producers of the inspiraTO Festival, is excited to present its theatre directing initative: Theatre inspiraTO Director's Toolbox Program. The Director’s Toolbox aims to provide mentorship and training to new and emerging artists to develop as directors through critically and creatively engaging with a short theatrical production.
The program :
- Attend an intensive weekend training bootcamp for directors.
- Have over 17 hours of hands-on training!
- No experience is required, just your full commitment.
- Direct a ten-minute play at Canada’s largest ten-minute play festival. Held at the Alumnae Theatre in Toronto from May 30 – June 8, 2019.
- Be given a ten-minute play to direct at the festival.
- Be given a tech schedule: two time slots and a dress rehearsal between May 26 – 29 (held on the weekend and week nights).
- Receive one-on-one feedback on your directing.
- Auditions will be held in March (you will be given dates to choose from).
- Rehearsals will be held in April/May (determined and set by you).
- Attend a progress meeting on Wednesday, April 3rd from 7 to 9 pm.
- Attend a production meeting on Tuesday, May 21 from 7:30 pm to 9 pm and finworkshop on Monday, June 3 at Alumnae Theatre from 6:30 to 9:30 pm.
- 8 to 10 participants will be selected to be part of the Director's Toolbox Program.
Workshop dates: Fri. Jan. 11, 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm; Sat. Jan. 12, 10 am to 5 pm; Sun. Jan. 13, 10 am to 5 pm. Auditions: March (flexible dates). Progress check in: April 3, 7pm to 9pm. Rehearsals: April/May (flexible dates). Production Meeting: May 21, 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm. Tech: May 26 – 29 (held on the weekend and week nights). Performances: May 30 - June 8. Final Workshop: June 3, 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm.
January workshops are held at Artscape Wychwood Barns St. Clair and Bathurst (601 Christie St.)
HOW TO APPLY: Fill Out Our Application here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfFccbyH8LculhpcaqbEeSbX-lz1tCYmdElJ8ID406R-v8B4g/viewform
Application deadline: Monday, November 19
You will be notified by December 1st if you have been accepted. Once accepted you will need to pay by Dec 15.
Fee: $259. Full time students: $159. (A big thank you to our partners and sponsors who help make this happen!)
APPLY TODAY. EXPERIENCE A FULLY INTERGRATED THEATRE TRAINING PROGRAM.
What past participants have said about the Director's Toolbox Program :
I have been completely transformed over the course of one weekend. A fantastic combination of information and wisdom in a safe and warm learning space with great instructors . -Alex Stamp
Invaluable to anyone who wants to get into directing and needs a first step. -Christian Teatro
The things I have learned in this program about theatre and directing will stay with me for years to come. -Celeste Bianca
2018 Director's Toolbox Program
Melissa Anne (Max) Fearon
2017 Director's Toolbox Program
Christian Michael Teatro
Ziad El Khachab
Garrett Mallory Scott
David Henry Mazumdar