LEARN THE CRAFT OF THEATRE DIRECTING
Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good. -Terrence Mann (Broadway actor and director)
Whether you're a novice or emerging director, having more tools and gaining a deeper understanding in the craft of theatre directing will better equip you in leading a cast. Surprisingly, many directors are not prepared enough -- simply because there aren't that many training opportunities for them.
Theatre inspiraTO, the producers of the inspiraTO Festival, is excited to present its theatre directing initative: The Director's Toolbox Program. The Director’s Toolbox aims to provide mentorship and training to new and emerging artists to develop as directors through critically and creatively engaging with a short theatrical production.
8 to 16 participants will be selected to be part of the Director's Toolbox Program. You will:
- attend an intensive weekend director’s training bootcamp: Fri. Jan. 12, 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm; Sat. Jan. 13, 10 am to 5 pm; Sun. Jan. 14, 10 am to 5 pm. Workshops are held at Artscape Wychwood Barns at St. Clair and Bathurst (601 Christie St.). Please plan for time to do the assignments after each day. This is 17 hours of hands-on training! No experience is required -- just your full commitment.
- direct a ten-minute play at Canada’s largest ten-minute play festival (June 7 – June 16, 2018) and held at the Alumnae Theatre in Toronto. You will be given a ten-minute play to direct at the festival. You will be given a tech schedule: two time slots and a dress rehearsal between June 2 – 6 (held on the weekend and week nights). The detailed performance and tech schedule will be to be determined in February 2018. You have flexible dates when to see performances.
- receive one-on-one feedback on your directing
- auditions will be held in March (you will be given choices of dates to choose from)
- rehearsals will be held in April/May (determined and set by you)
- you must also attend a final workshop on Mon. June 11, from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm (Alumnae Theatre).
- deadline to apply: Nov. 1/2017.
What past participants have said about the Director's Toolbox Program:
Invaluable to anyone who wants to get into directing and needs a first step. -Christian Teatro
The things I have learned in this program about theatre and directing will stay with me for years to come. -Celeste Bianca
I found this program extremely useful in getting practical experience as a director while still having mentors available to help you. -Robynne Harder
I was given the tools and information to branch out of my comfort zone and take on a truly rewarding leadership role. -Dana Westerberg
All those interested must apply by filling out this form: CLICK HERE. Email it to Daniel Carter, Community Outreach Lead by Nov. 1, 2017, 11:59 pm to: email@example.com. There are no fees to apply. We will notify applicants shortly after Nov. 1. Fees are payable after you have been accepted.
We are pleased to offer this unique experience, thanks to our sponsors, at adiscounted rate to our participants:
$249 / full time students: $129
University/college students in their senior years of a theatre program will find this of particular interest. However, this is open to anyone who has an interested and commitment to learning the art of theatre directing.
The fully integrated directors' progam will be led by Andreja Kovac (a professional theatre director with over 40 productions in Europe and Canada and a graduate of the National Theatre School).
Theatre inspiraTO, the producers of the InspiraTO Festival, Canada's largest ten-minute play festival, is entering its 13th season. To date over 220 ten-minute plays have been produced with over 100 theatre artists participating each season.
2017 Directors Toolbox Program
Christian Michael Teatro
Ziad El Khachab
Garrett Mallory Scott
David Henry Mazumdar