LEARN THE CRAFT OF THEATRE DIRECTING
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN! DEADLINE TO APPLY: Nov. 19
Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good. -Terrence Mann (Broadway actor and director)
Whether you're a novice or emerging director, having more tools and gaining a deeper understanding in the craft of theatre directing will better equip you in leading a cast. Surprisingly, many directors are not prepared enough -- simply because there aren't that many training opportunities for them.
Theatre inspiraTO, the producers of the inspiraTO Festival, is excited to present its theatre directing initative: Theatre inspiraTO Director's Toolbox Program. The Director’s Toolbox aims to provide mentorship and training to new and emerging artists to develop as directors through critically and creatively engaging with a short theatrical production.
The program :
- Attend an intensive weekend training bootcamp for directors.
- Have over 17 hours of hands-on training!
- No experience is required, just your full commitment.
- Direct a ten-minute play at Canada’s largest ten-minute play festival. Held at the Alumnae Theatre in Toronto from May 30 – June 8, 2019.
- Be given a ten-minute play to direct at the festival.
- Be given a tech schedule: two time slots and a dress rehearsal between May 26 – 29 (held on the weekend and week nights).
- Receive one-on-one feedback on your directing.
- Auditions will be held in March (you will be given dates to choose from).
- Rehearsals will be held in April/May (determined and set by you).
- Attend a progress meeting on Wednesday, April 3rd from 7 to 9 pm.
- Attend a production meeting on Tuesday, May 21 from 7:30 pm to 9 pm and finworkshop on Monday, June 3 at Alumnae Theatre from 6:30 to 9:30 pm.
- 8 to 10 participants will be selected to be part of the Director's Toolbox Program.
Workshop dates: Fri. Jan. 11, 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm; Sat. Jan. 12, 10 am to 5 pm; Sun. Jan. 13, 10 am to 5 pm. Production schedule: January 30, 2019, 7:00 to 8:30 pm. Auditions: March (flexible dates). Progress check in: April 3, 7 pm to 9pm. Rehearsals: April/May (flexible dates). Production Meeting: May 24, 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm. Tech: May 26 – 29 (held on the weekend and week nights). Performances: May 30 - June 8. Attend a short session (30 min) on Sun. June 2 (during the day). Final Workshop: June 3, 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm.
January workshops are held at Artscape Wychwood Barns St. Clair and Bathurst (601 Christie St.)
HOW TO APPLY: Fill out our application here.
Application deadline: Monday, November 19
You will be notified by December 1st if you have been accepted. Once accepted you will need to pay by Dec 15.
Fee: $259. Full time students: $159. (A big thank you to our partners and sponsors who help make this happen!)
We are excited that our Lead Directors this season are Rosemary Doyle and Josh Downing. Rosemary is the incoming Artistic Director of Theatre Kingston and the founder of the Red Sandcastle Theatre, a venue she opened in Toronto's Leslieville neighbourhood in 2011. She has been involved in theatre for over 40 years! Josh is a playwright/director who has had his plays produced in various festivals in around the GTA, including directing and writing numerous ten-minute plays (many showcased at inspiraTO). He took part in inspiraTO’s Playwriting and Directing Academies, and was also one of the Director Leads for the 2018 Director’s Toolbox. Both Rosemary and Josh have a keen sense of creating theatre from the ‘ground up’ — a hands-on approach that helps first time directors hone their craft.
APPLY TODAY. EXPERIENCE A FULLY INTERGRATED THEATRE TRAINING PROGRAM.
What past participants have said about the Director's Toolbox Program :
I have been completely transformed over the course of one weekend. A fantastic combination of information and wisdom in a safe and warm learning space with great instructors . -Alex Stamp
Invaluable to anyone who wants to get into directing and needs a first step. -Christian Teatro
The things I have learned in this program about theatre and directing will stay with me for years to come. -Celeste Bianca
2018 Director's Toolbox Program
Melissa Anne (Max) Fearon
2017 Director's Toolbox Program
Christian Michael Teatro
Ziad El Khachab
Garrett Mallory Scott
David Henry Mazumdar